Thursday, June 28, 2007

40 Days Old - News You Can Use

This just in. I am astounding. Feeding and baby skills I can now suck my pacifier while feeding. It helps me to digest my food. If I had a rough transition into feeding time, it is best not to give me a pacificer because I will freak out on you. I currently have to be in a good mood to use my "bink" effectively. I now eat 34 ml of mega-mommy's-milk every three hours. It is a special recipe of mommy's milk, extra calories, extra protein, extra calcium and a few dashes of other stuff for good measure. All the extra stuff is added so that I can grow faster and catch up on my size. This way when I am a toddler or teenager you won't know that I was a premie because I will be a more normal size. Breathing and lung development This is still my major challenge. I have transitioned from an oscillator to CPAP to nose cannulas. I do all my own breathing now, but I am not very effective at it. Sometimes I will breathe very quickly and that doesn't help my blood to carry the oxygen through my body. I try to breathe slowly and deeply but then I fall asleep and forget a breath and that's not good either. I need to grow new lung tissue (babies do that) so that I have lung tissue that has never been sick. Unfortunately, it takes time to grow lung tissue and so a lot of patience and understanding is required. While I don't A(apnea or stop breathing) and I don't C(Cyanosis or turn blue in color), I do D(desaturate or decrease blood oxygenation) which is very typical of babies like me. However, it doesn't make it any easier for Mommy and Daddy to watch me do it. I am currently on 1/2 litre oxygen at 50%. I have stopped taking inhaled steriods, but I might start up again because it helps me exchange oxgen with my blood.

.

Blood and heart

My heart is doing a great job. It beats normally for a baby 130-180 per minute. I usually increase my heart rate when I am filling my diapers or when the scary water faucet turns on. I'm a baby I get scared or startled. I seem to be sensitive to sound and tend to like things very quiet. Have to been to Mommy and Daddy's house? Then you know I will be just fine. They are very quiet. I do have small B's(bradycardia or drops in heart rate) which are very scary for everyone. But, none of nurses have had to coming running to save me, yet. I am usually able to self recover and they last a relatively short time. My "crit" is low and I need more iron and red blood cells to help the blood carry oxygen effectively. They are now giving me iron and EPO to increase the red blood cells. The EPO seems to be working because my "retick" is now 4 vs. 2 and I am aiming for 5.

Other Stuff Most of the stuff they are giving me causes other parts of me or my body fluids to go loopy. So the doctors are watching out for my potasium, sodium and electolytes as well as my blood quality and content. I haven't have any more IV fluids and I am finished will all my antibiotics for now. If I get an infection, all my progess could be wiped out. So, unfortunately when you visit me for now, you can look at my luscious hair, tiny fingers, "chubby" thighs and button lips, but NO TOUCHING THE BABY. Sorry, I am also sensitive to touch. I love Mommy's hands and fingers. I love to kangaroo on both Daddy and Mommy. And, I have a secret affection for some of my nurses hands. Otherwise, we are going to have to wait for a while longer before we get "skin to skin."

Weight and Length

Breaking news. I am 4 pounds. TA-DA!!!! Pretty soon I will be wearing "big" clothes. I am now 16 and 1/2 inches. I spend most of my day sleeping and growing and gaining weight. We have to be careful about gaining good wieght and not water weight. When I have water in my lungs, I take a dose of lasix and this brings my regular weight down a little bit, but I can breathe much better. They measure my head and tummy twice a week but I don't know why or what it means.

In Summary

I am doing well and as expected. The doctors still have concerns about my lungs and blood. My eyes are fine and improving in their ability to see and my ears are just fine for now. I am trying to grow new things and get bigger and gain weight. It is a slow process and very hard for Mommy and Daddy to watch because I am still not "out of the woods" or able to come home yet.

We love to be together, the three of us, and that's when I do best. Have a good weekend. I will be six weeks old on Saturday night. Have a cupcake to celebrate.

Good night.

2 comments:

Gweneth said...

Super Baby! She is chugging along -- I'll bet she didn't know how much work she'd have to do by being born so early. What a trooper.

It's great to see her picture with her big eyes open. Can hardly wait to see my darling "big girl" again.

Love, GG

Carrie said...

Leslie,
this is Carrie Sweet (Clark is my maiden name). I am Pat and Carl Clark's daughter. Remember me?? :)
Sharon Oram referenced your blog from her blog. I have thoroughly enjoyed reading about your daughter. Modern medicine is amazing and so is your blog! Congrats on hitting the 6 week mark, it seems like she is making steady improvement. She is adorable!! Thanks for letting us be a part of your experience.