Sunday, June 24, 2007

36 Days Old - Doing What Comes Naturally

As you may have guessed, I don't have a lot going on right now. I sleep most of the day and then I can choose one of three activities 1) kangaroo with Daddy, 2) kngaroo with Mommy or 3) premie preschool with Mommy and my nursing team. I also eat 8 times a day and fill my diapers in between feedings. I have lab work and charting done by my nurses and I am still trying to improve my breathing and grow. It's not that interesting to photograph and write about. However, I will attempt to make this interesting. Doing what comes naturally is different for each of us. We are all different. I like to wiggle while I am sleeping. It gets me into trouble. Sometimes I get stuck against a wall or door (my nurses think I am trying to escape) . . . I also like to contort myself into interesting shapes. While this may look funny, it is great for my airway passages as they are fully open and unkinked in this position. For my fashion consultants, I am wearing a baby pink kimono shirt by Gerber in the up to 5lb size. It is soft and comfy and down to my knees. (currently) Natually, I also like to sleep and repose. I love to lay on my tummy and especially on my Mommy and Daddy. I am very possessive of Mommy and usually sleep in this position but turned over and on my tummy. I am too little to hold all of Mommy but as you can see, I am trying my best to get a hold of most of her. Did you notice something different on my face ? They moved my feeding tube. This is a great thing for me because it is more comfortable and out of my way. I can now reach my mouth with my fingers and I don't tongue my tube anymore and get myself in trouble. Pardon me, a yawn. For my fashion consultants, I am weaing a cherry pink animal friends bodysuit (onesie) by Little Me in the 0 to 3 months size which is two sizes to big for me. If I am too wiggly, I get my whole head caught in the sleeve. My CO2's get a little high and then my people notice that my head is missing.
Now, I am also working on breastfeeding and I am not taking pictures. We call it premie preschool because I am just getting familiar with the equipment and my natural instincts. I am too young and too little to even start attempting professional level breastfeeding. However, I would like to say that I am very good at the nuzzling when I have my teachers with me. I am not ready to go solo for several weeks. Now there was something else I was going to say. What was it ????

Oh yes. I m wanted to share this picture with the many past and present members of the quilt group. Here is one of the "machine quilting practice quilts" that we donated to the NICU for womb covers in use. Desmond (no last names) says Thanks.

Have a good week. I'll try to write something interesting a few times if I have the energy.

2 comments:

NatalieD said...

You're such a photogenic little lady. I can't wait to meet you in person. Good luck on the feeding thing; sometimes it takes even full-term babies a while to get the hang of it. Try to be patient.

Shari Goodwin said...

Congratulations on your progress. Your pictures are quite adorable and you make a beautiful fashion statment. I hope to meet you soon.

Shari