Sunday, June 3, 2007

15 Days Old - What A Difference A Week Makes

I've had seven good days in a row, even my doctors say so. They say that maybe next week I may even become too boring and healthy for them to work on. I hope so cause maybe then they would let me sleep.

Big news for me today. My oxygen purity rate is currently 23% and it hasn't gone above 30% all day. Do you know that regular air is 21% oxygen? I am only 2%'s above that. My amplitude was reduced to 19 and the doctor says that really I am doing most of the breathing on my own. My O2 and CO2 exchange rates are in the normal zone and my saturation levels remain in the low 90's.

They reduced my drug drip by less than 10% and I am totally awake and wiggly now. Unfortunately, I tried to get up on my knees and baby rock while turning my head. I got in big trouble with my nurse who scolded me for moving too much which could have pulled out my vent tube. I was only trying to do what babies do. I didn't know; there sure are a lot of rules here.

So now, my nurse is holding me still so that I don't have to have more drugs to put me to sleep. I don't want more drugs because I might be graduating from ventilators and going directly to CPAP tonight or tomorrow. Mommy thinks I am too little and not ready for such a big step. My doctors and nurses think that Mommy is being too protective of me. I think I can do it and I know that the doctors and nurses will be right next to me if I have a problem. I hope that I can have a CPAP like Mommy, Uncle Kevin, Uncle Kelly and Aunt Inge. They all seem to like the CPAP very well. I will only need mine for a short time but I think it will be nice because then I can cry and fuss like babies do. I like being a baby.

P.S. I am getting really good at dirty diapers. All the food I am eating is doing the right stuff and I feel so good. Sorry, no pictures today, with less drugs and more wiggly-ness I can't be startled by the flash. I will work on pictures tommorrow.

3 comments:

Jenell said...

What a good girl you are being! I saw Daddy last week and I could tell you had him wrapped around that tiny little finger. Please let Mommy or Daddy take your picture now and then so we can watch you grow.

Shari Goodwin said...

Erynn you are such a gifted writer. I am glad to read you are doing better. Congratulations on your improving condition. You are a blessed young lady to have such loving and protective parents. I know they will be happy when you get to come home. Shari

Carey said...

Erynn what a strong little girl you are. Your Daddy looked calmer today, so you must have had a good weekend. I cannot wait to meet you and your Mommy. I will keep praying for your safe journey from the hospital to your home with your Mommy and Daddy.