Tuesday, June 5, 2007

16 Days Old - I Did It . . .

Just before turning 16 days, I graduated from the oscialating ventilator directly to a CPAP machine. I have two types of masks; one is nasal prongs which I don't like at all. This is a picture of me with my nasal prongs mask. Doesn't look too comfortable does it ? My favorite mask is my beak. But, my beak pushes on my upper lip and that's not good either. So, I have to put up with the prongs because I will feel and look better later. I was really good with the medical procedure. They took my tube out and I let out some very hefty cries and filled up my lungs really full and told those doctors how I felt. Then they put on my beak with a little bit of oxygen and that felt nice. I went to sleep until Mommy and Daddy came back to the hospital to tuck me in for the night. I woke up the next morning feeling kind of cranky and jittery. I don't know why. As it turns out, they gave me caffiene to make sure I didn't get too comfy and forget to breathe. Well, I wiggled and pushed up on my knees to baby rock and I turned my head from one side to the other and I flailed about with my arms and legs and then I flexed my hands into little fists and then straightened my fingers all the way out. And all the time I was breathing and fussing and all that sutff. My nurses were not too happy. I was not happy either. But, then Mommy and Daddy came and we all took naps together. I was getting very tired. When we woke up from our naps. We all felt very good. I rested and slept some more. (It's what babies do.) And then, guess what I did . . . . . That's right, I met my Mommy and cuddled in her arms. She's really big compared to me. It was scary at first and I cried. But, then I heard that familiar thumpety thump and settled right in so that Mommy would hold me very still. Daddy took my picture with his phone. Then, I needed to go back to my little world. Remember, I am still very little and can get over stimulated easily. (Can you say caffiene drip?) I can't believe I can do so many big things. I wonder what other nice things will happen to me. In the last three days, I drank Mommy's milk, made a dirty diaper, re-learned how to breathe, graduated to CPAP and was held in Mommy's arms all for the first time. I think that's a full schedule. Time to sleep, I am exhausted.

4 comments:

Marion said...

Oh precious little Erynn you have come so far! How wonderful to snuggle in Mommy's arms. We can't wait to see the picture Daddy took. We send you our love and prayers.
Tante Marion and Uncle Frankie

NatalieD said...

Oh, my goodness, Erynn! You are working your way up to the AP Preemie class! Way to go!

Cheryl said...

Congratulations Erynn on all that you have accomplished! There are so many people who are praying for you and your parents and those who care for you. I look forward to the day when I can meet you in person.
Love,
Cheryl Steele

Gweneth said...

Our tiny Erynn is a Champion! What a thrill to learn of these accomplishments. I love this girl!

GG (Grandma Gwen)