Thursday, July 12, 2007

54 days old - Can't Go Home Before I Learn . . .

how to feed. Apparently they won't let me go home with a tube in my nose. Fashion-wise a very good choice. I need to learn how to bottle feed and breastfeed eight times a day without forgetting to breathe or skipping a heart beat. This may sound easy for you, but don't forget that I have to fit in a suck and a swallow in between very fast breaths. People who sing in choir can appreciate the speed in which this must happen. The time between my breaths is not a full rest, just a little pause for emphasis. And, I have to fit a suck, swallow and breathe in that time space.

Now, don't forget, I am also trying to grow lung tissue this week. It is a very exhausting task. I need to sleep all day long and let the tube do the feeding for me. You would be very lucky to wake me up and keep me awake for a bottle or breastfeeding. This is a lot of work for a little person. Anyhow, here's the plan.

80% of one full bottle feed moves me up to 2 bottle feeds (in a 24 hour period); then 80% of two full bottle feeds moves me up to 3 bottle feeds (in a 24 hour period) etc. until I have 8 bottle feeds in a 24 hour period.

Then, I also have to learn a good breastfeeding technique and then teach it to Mommy. Then, we can see if we don't need the bottles.

Well, I am off to teach Daddy and Mommy how to bottle feed me. Salute and So long for now.

P.S. Here I am bottle feeding from the Rookie. This is the first time Daddy has ever in his whole lifetime bottle fed a baby. (I refuse to accept the nickname of Guinea Pig.) I took almost half of this bottle.

P.P.S. I can't even talk about the burping thing.

1 comment:

Gweneth said...

Good techique "Rookie." You are a quick learner. Beginner's luck?

We also will not call Erynn your "experimental model" -- instead, she shall be your "success model" and such a beaufiful model she is! You lucked out on your first try -- she's a keeper.

Love, GG