Thursday, July 5, 2007

47 Days Old - Ask Dr. Erynn

Good morning, this is Dr. Erynn speaking, everyone seems very interested in knowing when I am coming home to stay with Daddy and Mommy. My first answer is I don't know. My original estimated birthdate was Aug 13th, so I guess you can use that date as a guide for now. My esteemed colleagues say it is still too early to say and that I have more things to learn. Apparently, (little yawn) I have some milestones to acheive and then I have to pass off all the items on my going home checklist. Let's talk about the milestones first. First, I have to have good steady weight gain, about 10-20 grams per day with an upward trend. I'm doing fine there. I am current 4 lb 9 ozs. and climbing. Next week, I will probably earn my 5 pound award. A whole new wardrobe awaits me as I venture into the Newborn size. Second, I must be able to breastfeed or take the bottle well or both. Well, I am just learning how to do these two things. I currently am gavage fed (nose tube) 42 ml every three hours over a 45 minute span. (This just in, I had my first bottle and drank 19 ml before I tuckered out. I was eager to eat more but I forgot to breathe too many times and was put in time out.) Third, I must be able to regulate my own body temperature. I don't know what regulate and body temperature are. However, since I am in an open crib, I have passed this requirement.
Finally, I must have a regular breathing rate. Well, I am waiting for new little lung buds to grow so that I can pass this requirement. I tend to desaturate and need oxygen support. I can come home with a oxygen tank and monitor. But, I have the other requirements to work on too. As for the checklists, I have passed three blood tests. I need to take preventive medication for RSV and Hepatisis B. I need a hearing test and another eye exam. I need to be able to sleep in a flat crib without rolls and maintain good breathing. My car seat has to pass an inspection. Mommy and Daddy need to watch the RSV and CPR. Mommy and Daddy need to attend the car seat and the baby class. Mommy and Daddy have to find a pediatrician for me. Mommy and Daddy have to pass the bath giving test. Mommy and Daddy need to understand my feeding plan. Well, I am not going to get all of that done today. Time to kangaroo. I'll write again soon.

1 comment:

NatalieD said...

What a photogenic little girl you are! Thanks for keeping us posted on your progress. You are one smart little cookie!